Saturday, March 24, 2012

Lifelong Learning

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. ~Will Durant

Every time I read this quote, I am reminded of how much I thought I knew when I first started teaching and how now I feel the more I learn, the more I realize I know nothing!

When I graduated college and first started teaching , I thought I knew it all! I dove right in and started my masters program during that first year and took advantage of every staff development session that was offered. I was so excited to be a part of all the new and exciting opportunities technology was bringing to education. By my third year of teaching, I was on top of the world! I was presenting at local and national math and technology conferences and leading workshops at my school. I knew it all! Ha!

Fast forward 10 years. I just finished a second masters in educational administration and leadership. I have 4 young boys which made it a heck of a lot harder to take classes this time around. I've moved out of the classroom and work on the district's technology team. I get to "play" with all the new technology tools and help teachers find innovative ways to use them in the classroom. I lead technology workshops and attend/present at local and national conferences. I'm even taking a go at teaching college students this semester. I really enjoy my jobs!

I still feel like I'm on top of the world, but for completely different reasons! My paycheck and professional status aren't feeling as important these days. Don't get me wrong, I love learning and am still considering a doctorate program, but my focus has shifted. I have a wonderful husband and 4 beautiful boys. I am surrounded by amazing family and friends. Most importantly, I serve an AWESOME GOD! Life is good!

I'm slowing letting go of the fact that I have to "know everything". I will never know it all, no one expects me to know it all, and "know-it-alls" aren't fun to be around anyway! ;)

For now, I will do my best to focus on the day-to-day blessings the 5Ts bring and continue the progressive discovery of my own ignorance by learning something new each day.


No comments:

Post a Comment